1. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  2. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  3. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Is God real?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by n00bslayer_99, Nov 11, 2014.

1. builderjunkie012

builderjunkie012 Celebrity Meeper

+won on grammer meight

Ranger0203 likes this.
  2. Ranger0203

Ranger0203 Celebrity Meeper

No there aren't...

Individual trees with verified ages[edit]
    Name Age (years) Species Location Notes
    Gargi 5,065 Great Basin bristlecone pine
    Pinus longaeva White Mountains, California, United States Oldest known currently living tree. Tree cored by Edmund Schulman, age determined by Tom Harlan.[6]
    From wikipedia

3. XxNine_TailsxX

XxNine_TailsxX Legendary Meeper

4. Ranger0203

Ranger0203 Celebrity Meeper

But you're not god, so this is irrelevant.

5. builderjunkie012

builderjunkie012 Celebrity Meeper

ok

Ranger0203 likes this.
  6. Erebus45

Erebus45 Celebrity Meeper

Praise be to Smeef u imposter

7. Trexy

Trexy Celebrity Meeper

To Be Honest, I Don't Know If God Is Real.

8. TheDebatheist

TheDebatheist Popular Meeper

Question. Why do you capitalise every word?

The problem with the thread title is shown in this response. There is no evidence for a god. If there were, we wouldn't still be having this discussion that's spanned for thousands of years. Tens of millions of gods have been posited by humans, and infinitely many that havn't. What matters, is whether we are rationally justified to believe. What evidence is there? And of which gods, if any?

The thread title continues from my previous comment, by illustrating the futility of the very question. Which god? Which, out of 10,000,000's, is there any evidence for?

If by 'real', you mean... 'A physical process (of firing neurons) that creates a brain-state for the individual in which they sincerely believe a god exists?'

Sure. But in the same way, Pixies would exist. We need proof. Of which, we have none.

9. Trexy

Trexy Celebrity Meeper

Question Answer: I Honestly Don't Know, I Guess It Just Feels Right For Me. :sorry:

10. TheDebatheist

Do you care about the truth? Do you care whether what you believe is true, or would you be happy to believe a comforting lie? If it's the latter, there's nothing more I can say. I deeply care whether my beliefs are true, and I vet them appropriately.

"Something feeling right" has no bearing on whether it's true or not. To use your brain in every other aspect of your life, only to shun it for your own wishful thinking and intuition when it comes to the biggest question we've faced? This seems ludicrous, and I think it's sad that you'd rely upon "feelings" more than you'd rely upon testable, demonstrable claims. Everything about our conversation, from the fact that you're still alive to the platform we are talking on, it's down to science. None of these discoveries or marvels were through "feelings", but through science.

11. Trexy

Trexy Celebrity Meeper

Umm... I'm Talking About Typing With Caps On Every Word. . .But. . .Umm.

12. jadenPete

jadenPete Code Writer & Meme Trader

Personally, I believe in God, and we all have our own beliefes and should respect them (Look at my sig :D). I believe there is no evidence, as he is trying to challenge us to believe in him. Again, i'm not asking you to believe this, but this is what i believe. In fact, i'm a real fan of science, and think it can explain 99.99999999% of things. But there is a religious aspect to my life.

13. TheDebatheist

You don't get to demand respect for your beliefs, just because you respect everyone elses. I like to have standards. Beliefs and people have to earn my respect. Racists, xenophobes, sexists, theocrats, all have little to no respect from me.

You don't respect every belief, clearly. What about the belief that Jews are inferior and scum? Does that deserve respect too?

On a similar note, unsupported unscientific beliefs garner no respect from me. I urge you to contribute to my 'Why personal beliefs deserve no respect" debate thread, if you think otherwise.
    You shouldn't be 'afraid'. Though, I wouldn't be proud of it either. Your sig, your call.
    So, you believe in something for which there is no evidence. How do you know he/it exists then?

I've heard this line from Muslims too, you know. "There isn't any evidence, but this is Allah's challenge."

It's also incredibly circular and a dangerous way of thinking. You're believing in something, because you want it to be true. In EVERY other facet of your life, you use logic, reason and evidence to determine what is right. Your god gave you a brain that acts in this way. But when it comes to the BIGGEST question of them all, you're supposed to suspend all of your critical faculties, and this is a good thing?

Why did Paul get a damascus road experience, where God proved himself to Paul? Why does Paul get one, and we don't?
    Prove that science can't explain everything.

Also, that's an 'Argument from Ignorance' logical fallacy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

"I don't know, so.... God."

Erebus45 likes this.
  14. jadenPete

Just saying... My beliefs... You can doubt them and think there not true all you want.

LadyCassandra likes this.
  15. SirGiggly

SirGiggly Celebrity Meeper

This is a debate section

16. TheDebatheist

Do you care whether your beliefs are true? I've already talked about this in comment #170.

We see the same thing almost every time by Christians in this forum. I don't get it.

There's almost no engaging with what's been said. They expect everyone else to listen and/or be convinced by their ideas, but won't give others the same courtesy. Typically, hiding behind... "That's just what I believe". Is that really a defense of your ideas? Is that the pinnacle of your intellect? You're much better than that.

"I believe in mind-controlling purple Pixies that hide behind the Sun, that created the universe and continue to control all of humanity."

'Errrrm... why should anyone else believe that? Where's your evidence for this claim? Do you care about whether this belief is truth?'

"I'm just saying... that these are my beliefs. You can doubt them and think they're not true all you want."

This is not intellectual. This isn't anything close to a debate. You are rehearsing what you already believe, uninterested in an intellectual discussion. If that's the case, don't post to begin with. This is the 'debates' section. Not the 'Post my opinion then run away' section.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    Qaztar likes this.
  17. jadenPete

Gees u people on the debate section can get pretty agressive. i wasnt trying to debate or argue, just stating my opinion

LadyCassandra likes this.
  18. SirGiggly

SirGiggly Celebrity Meeper

That is what you are supposed to do just stop posting if you're done.

TheDebatheist likes this.
  19. Qaztar

Qaztar Celebrity Meeper

Wait wait wait.
    So you came to the debate section not to debate but to just state your opinion...?
    It's the debate section.

TheDebatheist likes this.
  20. Historicmush

Historicmush Popular Meeper

You know which one you're talking about.. Lol.

http://godandscience.org/apologetics/is_god_real.html
    Good site to look at