1. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  2. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  3. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Staff Member Trophy (Forums)

Discussion in 'Denied' started by Bob4444444, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Bob4444444

Bob4444444 Celebrity Meeper

REMOVE IT. There's no real reason for it. Trophy points are earned by your forums activity (if you even log on to get trophy point), your posts, your likes, etc. Becoming a staff member is not an achievement you have made on the forums. Overall, there's no point to having it if you're not even gonna give it to at least 90% of the people who have worked for the server. It serves no purpose, and I propose to remove it. It's unnecessary to have it, and once again, I do think it should be removed. I'm open to any arguments, and all feedback would be great.

cooey, BooBear1227, Cherrykit and 8 others like this.
  2. kwagscraft

kwagscraft Celebrity Meeper

I remember I made a picture about this. It was a stock photo of I guy looking in the mirror, and I captioned it so it looked like he was congratulating himself.
    +1

Toostenheimer and Bob4444444 like this.
  3. Klitch

Klitch

I don't understand why this frustrates you specifically. Is it because you were staff before it was available?

SpongeyStar likes this.
  4. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

Yes, that is exactly why it's an issue now, lol. I say everyone who has it now gets to keep it, and remove it forever, out of spite.

cooey, Toostenheimer and Bob4444444 like this.
  5. Toostenheimer

Toostenheimer Legendary Meeper

+1 pretty please
    all it is is an award just for being staff on the forums. All the other trophy points involve in likes, posts, how lomg youve been here, etc.

6. Muunkee

Muunkee Legendary art supply hoarder

Either add it for people who've been staff or remove it.
    inb4 too much work for the admins to remove 'oh well'

BooBear1227 likes this.
  7. adlovesdogs

adlovesdogs ex-staff <3

8. BooBear1227

BooBear1227 Sunflower | Always

+1. Can I +1 that even more? No, that needs fixed.

I would like to see it removed. Not because I was staff and am not now, and I don't get a trophy.

StoryTime (open)

I served "16" months on the staff team, I don't care if I get a stupid trophy or the accolades, it was because I was being helpful to not only others, but finding myself and becoming a better person.

That's not a legitimate reason. All the other points come from "being awesome" (takes care of 3sa and 8s that bugged people) or actually achieving something.

Yay For You (open)
    Yay, you're staff. Woopdefreakingdoo. Congrats on being staff.Congrats on being there for when the trophy was given. It should not be a thing that exists point blank. (Staff chose who get sstaff, so staff chose who get trophy points, lmao)

Being staff, hmmmm.

Do you have to be rewarded for being staff? Hahaha. You are funny. We talked about it several time in meetings. You should be personally happy that you are staff, and that should be enough.

Staff are gonna say they want to keep it, because it benefits them with their points. Yeah, it's 15 points. That 15 points can separate anyone from any title you get (Member, Active, Well-Known, Popular, Celebrity....).

Go ahead and just keep it for those who already have it, but get rid of it. It was stupid to put it in in the first place. Benefiting yourselves are you? That's not what being staff is all about.... Did you become staff for the accolades and the popularity, or did you become a staff member to help out the server?

tl:dr; Read it please. Also, read my lovely spoiler alerts. Thanks <3

9. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

But that isn't enough, staff is too much work, you will never get back the investment you put in. Being happy to be staff isn't enough for the workload they have. Why do you think the staff is dwindling in numbers?

Too much work, not enough reward.

BooBear1227 and PhoenixAngel80 like this.
  10. lordusan

lordusan The true #DarkKnight

The work that staff do is giving back to the community, not getting rewards for doing work. Even so, +1 to this. Those who were staff before the trophy still deserve this

11. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

This was a great idea, the trophy points, in an attempt to recognize those that do a hell of a lot of work. However, I can agree that in terms of practicality it may not work the best. A good compromise is letting any and all staff receive cosmetic things

Perhaps a special "staff" pet you can get

All staff, even helpers get customization of their tags on forums

There are many other various cosmetic rewards that would most likely work better. But this sentiment that "Staff should be happy to be staff" is outdated, simplistic, and disrespectful to them. Some of you know exactly how much work it is, and at the end of the road, this server is a business that needs employees (or volunteers) to do the jobs that this server relies on. You outright lost an admin because the work that needed to be done, was not worth the effort needed to do all of it, on top of dealing with less than savory players, etc. I have to imagine PhoenixAngel left for much the same reasons, I apologize if I am off base. The work and effort a staff members puts in will never be worth what they get out of it.

"What they get out of it" does not signify a payment of any work, and can even mean the good feeling a person gets when helping out. But are you going to fight to help out? Are you going to deal with rude people to help out? Considering the server takes volunteers instead of employees, the threshold of what they are willing to do, and put up with is inherently smaller than a paid employee.

This avenue of rewarding your staff, hell, even giving them straight up meebles is a good idea, and it will bring benefits to this server, because people who put in the work gain something from that work, which in my opinion is a necessity.

Say what you will about this specific avenue of reward, but the statement that staff should be happy and grateful for their contributions to the community is akin to just slapping them in their face. This attitude was much more acceptable before at the earlier, this MeepCraft's relaunch, but the workload since then has exponentially expanded.

You have supermods fleshing out content of plugins, additions, their own projects, events on top of training and supervising the staff, all the while trying to still moderate the server, forums, and teamspeak.

They deserve something for this, not only deserve but it is the most practical option to add in a reward/payment system to staff, if only to stem the tide of staff deciding it's no longer worth it vs the talent they are getting currently. While to the players, this is only the game, the pressures that dictate any business to stay afloat similarly apply to this server. You need happy customers, and happy workers at the very least for success. Without one, you risk losing both.

Bob4444444, Muunkee and lordusan like this.
  12. lordusan

Deinen for admin?
    Edit: Deinen for owner

13. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

Too much work, not enough return for my time investment, honestly. My first stint as admin I was spending 10+ hours a day online, and I had nothing to show for it, the only time I was able to make money is when I spawned it in for myself. The 2nd time I shouldn't have even taken it, my heart wasn't in it, I was yet again beginning to show nothing for the effort. I ended up selling more ranks to keep my town afloat because I never played, I mean when you have a million things to do, you can't just sit there and pretend like you don't have anything to do and go mine in the wild, heh.

This is not blasting or trying to be disrespectful to anyone, either. I was once told by a wise man that he was glad I returned to staff because I said things as I saw them, wrong or right. I hold the utmost respect for this server, and the people who spend time here trying to do their best to make this enjoyable for the players. But it's frakking frustrating at times being in staff, I couldn't count how many times I had to lose my cool in order to prevent something dumb from happening, or to fix something dumb that already happened. (Like wiping a player 23 days after he was unbanned, on the 4th of July, despite some people yelling in caps and f-bombs not to do it)

- Things happen, people mess up, that's life, and I'm not holding that against the server, but the truth is, all in all - Staff needs some sort of reward system, they do actually need to gain something out of this. Hell, give them a free $10 rank every month to apply to an alt, or sell off, very low cost which greatly rewards the staff for their job. That is how you keep good people. (Hell, someone staff for 16 months, or 32 months? They deserve those respective ranks, they helped the server profit 5x I'd assume)

Techs get paid, Architects get a portfolio to apply for paying jobs with, they gain.

The guys and gals who spend hours and hours and hours get screamed at, told their server and staff sucks, and largely ignored.

Bob4444444, SJP, SX1 and 2 others like this.
  14. lordusan

Hey Deinen. I completely understand :/. The amount of time dedicated to the server by staff is not close to the gain that they get out of it. I personally am applying for helper because I want to give back to the server that has been an awesome experience, and definitely changed my life. Maybe there could be another suggestion thread on staff perks, and there be others ways to help the busied staff members make money to keep up towns pwarps and shops on meep.

15. Deinen

Deinen S'all Good Man

To be fair, helpers, and mods generally do get enough free-time to do those things. But as you rise in the ranks that increasingly goes away. Why do you think there becomes such a disconnect with the higher staff and the actual atmosphere inside the game, that largely does not exist with the helpers? When do supermods+ get time to play? Lol.

Applying because you want to give back is 100% the type of people this staff needs, and that is it's own reward too. Staff do gain, the popularity they get definitely help their economic status ingame, and other things, I just think overall, the server should continue, if not increase formal ways to recognize, thank, and reward the staff who keep this server profitable, and afloat.

16. shains

shains never stop fighting

seemed to be fine with you until it wasn't available to people who were previously staff lol

Klitch likes this.
  17. SX1

SX1 Celebrity Meeper

+/-

It's just a damn trophy, it's causing more problems than it's worth. On the other hand, it's just a trophy, why is it a big deal? lol

18. _Gimble_1.

_Gimble_1. Popular Meeper

I have worked with my friends running a small scale minecraft server (10 players online at most) and I can tell you, this was a major pain in my rear. I can't imagine the pains that staff members suffer on this server. I think that all the stuff that they get should stay because they need some payment for services rendered upon this server.

19. Skythekid1526

Skythekid1526 Popular Meeper

No, no, no, no. GIT RID OF IT NOW

20. n00bslayer_99

n00bslayer_99 i like kebab

That first paragraph, imagine if staff who were mayors of towns didnt have any town upkeep. So they could run their town without worrying about upkeep.
    Part of the suggestion I saw you make before that Meep needs to make it's very own unique towny plugin.
    Just an idea