1. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  2. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  3. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Gay Rights

Discussion in 'Debates' started by scoowby, May 7, 2014.

1. Ranger0203

Ranger0203 Celebrity Meeper

What's the difference? :p
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 25, 2015, Original Post Date: Aug 25, 2015 ---
    And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain.Deuteronomy 2:34

And we utterly destroyed them, ... utterly destroying the men, women, and children, of every city. Deuteronomy 3:6

And when the LORD thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them. Deuteronomy 7:2

And thou shalt consume all the people which the LORD thy God shall deliver thee; thine eye shall have no pity upon them. Deuteronomy 7:16

Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword. Deuteronomy 13:15

But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth.Deuteronomy 20:16-17

And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.Joshua 6:21

So smote all the country ... he left none remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the LORD God of Israel commanded. Joshua 10:40

Thus saith the LORD of hosts ... go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass. 1 Samuel 15:2-3

This doesn't sound like good life advice.

2. IFartRainbowFTW

IFartRainbowFTW Well-Known Meeper

Ranger have you read the hole bible? Ya i don't think so. You won't understand unless you read the bible.

3. Skaros123

Skaros123 Otaku Wooden Hoe

Have you read a book about evolution? Ya i don't think so. You won't understand unless you read the book about evolution.

4. SirGiggly

SirGiggly Celebrity Meeper

Not stealing from debatheist i've none this for a while.
    And if you live by the bible, stone everyone you don't agree with and don't pull out of your dead brother's wife or god will kill you. And make sure your kids arent mean to old christians cause god will kill your kids with bears. And don't mix fabrics, shave your face, get tattoos, put two crops in the same field etc. Ya know all the stuff worse than slavery, because slavery is only mentioned to protect the Israelites.

Cherrykit, Ranger0203 and Skaros123 like this.
  5. xXAdotXx

xXAdotXx Bibliophile Extraordinaire

Honestly, you do you. I don't give two craps because I won't meet 99/100ths of these people in my life. If it's against your religion, or you just don't believe in it, then cool. But just because YOUR religion or whatever says that it's wrong, doesn't mean that THEIR religion or whatever says it too. If it's not you, it isn't your right to try and tell them right from wrong. Basically, who cares?

Just my opinion.
    Oh God what have y'all done. Delete this post before it gets more out of hand xD

6. x_bigheart_x

x_bigheart_x Celebrity Meeper

Okay, one thing I really don't understand, is why God tells us to be ourselves, and accept ourselves, but doesn't accept homosexuals. Why?
    Sorry, my parents aren't exactly religious, so I don't understand o_O

xXAdotXx and Ranger0203 like this.
  7. Ranger0203

Actually, I have. I used to be Christian.

8. kwagscraft

kwagscraft Celebrity Meeper

It's not much of a choice when the alternative to following him is spending a eternity in an unpleasant fiery place that the staff would probably give me a warning point for naming now a days.

Skaros123 and Ranger0203 like this.
  9. Ranger0203

Yeah. If I started trolling on the forum, people would probably judge me too. They don't actually have to know me to make an educated guess about me based on my actions.
    That video pretty much sums it up.

10. Thee Boss

Thee Boss Celebrity Meeper

Didn't you Just say that you haven't read the whole bible?

I you want us to take you or you're arguments seriously then I suggest taking a look at some of the other arguments for gay rights.

I'm beginning to think that you came down here to try and convince us that the 'lord' is the way and not actually participate in an actual argument.

11. Ranger0203

Dude, chill out. He's just a kid.

Skaros123 likes this.
  12. Thee Boss

Thee Boss Celebrity Meeper

caps are for emphasis, not rage
    Just FYI

13. Ranger0203

That may be, but there's no reason to use such a huge font. It makes it look like you're raging.

14. Mjr_Minor

Mjr_Minor Celebrity Meeper

Aaaand bump:

Kim Davis
    [​IMG]
    I'm sure you've all heard about this story by now.

I genuinely want to see if anyone supports her perspective, and for them to voice their reasons why. I for one find her defiance to be unnecessarily, aside from being totally illegal.

Do people think she should be in jail? Should she be impeached? What outcomes do people see happening both short term and long term after her 15 minutes are up?

Discuss.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  15. SirGiggly

Just another idiot that thinks that letting someone do something that has non impact on them is somehow affecting their religion.

16. Skaros123

Skaros123 Otaku Wooden Hoe

She really should be impeached. In the short term, some people will say this is an "attack on Christianity" and what not. I don't see much happening in the long term. I've seen many people, even those against same-sex marriage, claim that she is in the wrong because she is breaking the law. She is going against her oath. Her job was to uphold the constitution and what the higher courts say in the constitution. She basically did the exact opposite. She refused to carry out the will of the state (which pays her in tax payer money), so she is being jailed for contempt of court. She can get out of jail by A) resigning B) being impeached C) losing the next election D) issuing marriage licenses. It's up to her to decide her own faith. She thinks she's a martyr, but she's really just making herself look stupid.

Also, Jesus ain't happy about that fourth marriage + birth out of wedlock.

17. LadyCassandra

LadyCassandra Rebel Angel Warrior | Sweet Baby Child

I hate you, bumper. I really do.

If this wasn't illegal, then would you still say the same?
    If the gay marriage laws weren't passed, would you still oppose her?
    As I said in another rant, everyone wants to be right and no one wants to be wrong. So then everybody's stepping over each others, calling each other bigots and phobics and all that. Argh.

There is your side, where since gay marriage is right, Christianity is wrong. All politicians already knew there was going to be a huge war between the government and Christians over passing the law that gays can get married because Christians don't think it's right. (Yes, not all, I know.) But they passed it on anyway and made it one of America's biggest history moments. Gays can get married, and whoever's not agreeing with them are just homophobic and bigots.

Then there's my side, where I feel like gays aren't quite in place and that Christianity is my base. Kim Davis is not the first situation that the war between gays and Christians that has happened. Like the wedding cake incident or Chick-Fil-A. What happens? Christians are fired from their jobs because of their views to make way for the gays and their pride parades. Companies are closed down because gays and their supporters would threaten to sue them simply they wouldn't give service to them. If y'all are gonna be so sensitive about it, go somewhere else. Otherwise, it's going to completely defeat the meaning of "Free Country" in America. It's already hurting a lot of people. I completely understand your side, I know. It seems offensive to refuse service to certain people. But there is a law in place that you are allowed to refuse service if you do not want to serve someone. That sign saying so is in place in a lot of restaurants and other social places. So what makes it any different? Like I said, take your anger somewhere else where you can get the service that you want. By getting what YOU want, you hurt other people. People have lives, jobs, and families to tend to. And they also have beliefs. If your beliefs and theirs do not match, do not go fighting over who is right. It helps no one.

My opinion, my words. Your opinion, your words. Keep arguing if you will, as will I, but keep in mind that no one's opinions are about to change, and that eventually all this is useless.

Darke_Amethyst likes this.
  18. SirGiggly

The thing is that there is a law, even if you don't agree with the law you have to follow it. You have the first amendment right to speak out about it or to go find another job where you don't have to interact with gay people, but the point of a law is for it to be followed.

19. Mjr_Minor

Mjr_Minor Celebrity Meeper

That's a nice way to start a conversation. Nice to meet you too.
    I already fundamentally disagree with your perspective.

Keep this in mind for the rest of my analysis: removing someone's ability to discriminate against other humans by denying them their basic civil rights isn't itself discrimination.

I would 100% still oppose her because she is treating people like second class citizens in a way that actually has a significant impact on their lives.
    Okay, what's your point here? I agree 100% - people who oppose citizens irrespective of who they are from gaining the ability to exercise civil rights they should've had for years are close-minded, and if their justification for believing so is down to said citizens' sexual orientation then they should be labelled homophobic.
    Telling people to go somewhere else because it's a "Free Country" is hypocritical. It's a free country, they're allowed to be where they want to be and should expect to be free of undue discrimination.

Those last 5 words are pretty crucial to the issue here.
    Yes, people are still being treated as second class citizens and having their rights denied, I'm glad you see this!
    Actually:
    This extends to sexual orientation, which is an arbitrary condition under the eyes of the law.
    I shouldn't have to take myself anywhere. If I wanted to get a marriage license, I shouldn't have to go out of my way to a specific place to get that document. I should be able to rock up to my local clerk's office and get the certificate no questions asked.

YOU being hurt by this legal right is your decision, YOU disagreeing with the legalisation of gay marriage is your decision, but it doesn't make you right. You're allowed to feel your own feelings, but you cannot hold a group of people to a different set of standards because of your religion. Especially so when you're in a government position, there is a stipulation about separation of church and state after all.

Kim Davis can object to gay couples being married and still do her job. That's down to an issue of professionalism, and frankly if she were an employee of mine she'd be fired on the spot - not for religious reasons but simply for the fact she's got a terrible work ethic.
    So let me get this straight - you're happy in letting people wallow in general close-mindedness because you're set in your beliefs? I'm not concerned with your opinions, they're yours to have and I'm not going to take those away from you, but I'm speaking for the people who are in the middle ground and unsure of how they feel. I'm presenting my arguments to be seen in a clear and coherent way. I'm not attacking people and will never resort to ad hominems, I want others to see me being critical of all opinions I come across and be just as critical themselves. Both towards my own and other people's, so that they can discover which perspective they resonate with best.

Think this discussion is "useless"? That's fine, I'm not concerned with your opinions or how formed they are - I know you're never going to see eye-to-eye with me on this issue. But as I already said, I'm concerned with people who aren't sure how they feel on the issue and want the perspectives. I just want them to take on a critical mindset towards anything they're told, which blindly turning away from the discussion doesn't do.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 3, 2015, Original Post Date: Sep 3, 2015 ---
    She's got her 15 minutes, and I expect she's going to make a pretty profit out of it too. She'll start up a fundme or a kickstarter etc as a "legal aid" fund and boom, newly minted millionaire from all the support she'll get. I don't really care about that, how people spend their money is their choice, I just hope she doesn't get to hold the office she currently has after all of this.
    As I said before, she's got a terrible work ethic and should be dismissed on those grounds.
    +
    Straight fire from the wooden hoe.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    LR_Davius, Skaros123 and Ranger0203 like this.
  20. LR_Davius

LR_Davius Celebrity Meeper

Even my mom who's hardcore conservative and Christian thinks that she's an idiot. Like she works for the government, it would make sense that she would have to uphold the law...

Ranger0203 and Supreme Overlord like this.