1. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  2. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  3. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Gay Rights

Discussion in 'Debates' started by scoowby, May 7, 2014.

1. Historicmush

Historicmush Popular Meeper

I don't support it legalized anywhere... I am a christian myself and I think that the people who legalized gay rights are going to try and force the church and christian schools to do stuff in favor of gay rights.

I.E: Churches would have to perform gay weddings or else the church would get torn down.
    Another example : Christian schools would teach stuff in favor in gay favors.

I really don't like the fact that the rule of gay rights is up, but I can't change anything. I really see a bad future for the US coming up.

2. Skaros123

Skaros123 Otaku Wooden Hoe

Don't worry: Think about it like this.

Currently, about 60% of Americans support same-sex marriage. Every year, the number continuously goes up. When the Supreme Court in 1967 struck down bans on interracial marriage, the majority of Americans were actually against it (about 70%!). Such a case is not like Roe v Wade. People learn that gays are our neighbors, friends, and even family. Social change is imminent, and it's clear that the Supreme Court has affirmed what most Americans believe to be true.

The concept of always having a mother and a father was never really in place. Single parents are free to adopt. Parents are also free to divorce and grant custody of the child to one parent. This has not stopped the idea of the nuclear family. It still exists, but Americans are now free to expand their options to a more broader sense of family. Thus, vindicating the freedoms of all. Studies do show that kids raised by same-sex parents do just as well as kids raised by opposite-sex parents.
    This is false. No church is forced to do anything they don't want to. In fact, churches are free to deny marriages of mixed faith and they are completely protected under the 1st amendment. My church will not marry you if you are not Orthodox. The Supreme Court ruling actually took note of this and called for religious protections. We have separation of church and state for a reason.

chaos546 and Empoleon_master like this.
  3. Ranger0203

Ranger0203 Celebrity Meeper

I can kinda see that...
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 26, 2015, Original Post Date: Jun 26, 2015 ---
    That's the supreme court's ruling (and I agree with it) but the problem is, the supreme court may not have to power to make that decision. There seems to be some confusion about that.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 26, 2015 ---
    The problem is, that probably won't last. We see that business aren't allowed to refuse services to people based on their sexual orientation (Like wedding cakes, and such). I feel that eventually, Church's will be forced to preform same-sex marriages.

I don't have a problem with gay marriage, but I do have a problem with the government telling people what do do more than they have to.

4. Historicmush

It's not happening right now, but there is a good chance of it happening later. There was already a similar case to that which already happened.. And the church got sued and the couples won.

5. Ranger0203

Ranger0203 Celebrity Meeper

Exactly. That shouldn't happen. In terms of freedom, I feel it's better to allow people to retain their right to offer their services than create the right that forces them to give their services to anyone who asks.

6. SirGiggly

SirGiggly Celebrity Meeper

I don't believe this in the slightest... unless you can find the case.

7. Empoleon_master

Empoleon_master Celebrity Meeper

Omg first brown and black people are marrying white people, now LGBT people are getting married, the world is doomed, doomed to allow people to marry eachother, THE HORROR!

Erebus45 likes this.
  8. Skaros123

I'm actually interested in looking more into this. Churches are protected by the 1st amendment, and part of the Supreme Court opinion acknowledged that. If you don't mind, can you link me to this news? Afterall, churches are allowed to refuse many kinds of marriages. Some won't even let you marry twice.

It really shouldn't happen, and I solely agree with this statement.

chaos546 and Empoleon_master like this.
  9. Empoleon_master

10. Historicmush

http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/millionaire-gay-couple-suing-force-church-hold-wedding/
    http://www.newser.com/story/206744/gay-pal-suing-me-for-not-doing-wedding-flowers-florist.html

A lot more.. Don't wanna post them though.

11. Skaros123

The first wedding one was in the UK, so I can't really say anything about that. The 1st amendment still guarantees the right of churches to refuse certain types of weddings in the United States.

The second one is completely unrelated to churches-- very different topic. I'm sure you can give me quite a few articles about businesses being forced to cater same-sex weddings. My opinions on it are mixed, as it is a shaky premise on just how far personal religious freedom can go.

Empoleon_master likes this.
  12. Historicmush

@Skaros123
    Does it really have to be about churches? I mean it's the same concept.. Hmm, now I really don't know. I can't find it anywhere but i'm pretty sure i've heard about it somewhere. If you can find and share it that would be great :)

13. Empoleon_master

Aand hitting ignore on the bigot that uses websites that don't fact check OR cite their sources to the point of them being the Onion.

14. Skaros123

I just think we need to draw a fine line between religious freedom and discrimination. I don't know where I could find that article, though.

chaos546, Fangdragon1998 and Erebus45 like this.
  15. Empoleon_master

16. Fangdragon1998

Fangdragon1998 Queen of the Nubs, La Elite Dragoness, Kæri On!

What, you're saying God is on your side now? Aren't you a bit atheist for that?
    Seriously, empoleon, not everyone against or not supportive/overly celebrating of gay marriage is a bigot.

Skaros123 and Cookies713 like this.
  17. Empoleon_master

Umm I'm an omniquantist and it was made to make fun of the idiots who say that there will be the next rapture when X country/area legalizes marriage.

18. Fangdragon1998

I apologize for not knowing your personal religion.
    As for the "bigot" part...
    It looks like he can hold an intelligent conversation with Skaros quite easily, so instead of calling names and insulting them, why not... actually debate like Skaros is doing?

chaos546 and Skaros123 like this.
  19. Empoleon_master

I don't like reading pure hate based on religous text that was never meant to be interpreted literally, and then changed heavily in the 11th century by a bunch of old white dudes that decided to all mysoginy and racism to it, along with their people being eaten by lions, which never happened.

20. Fangdragon1998

So, you're saying, because they are a literal - what the hell do lions have to do with debating? Like actually what the hell are you talking about?

Does this look terribly bigoted, hate-filled, and as horrible as you're making it out to be? *Hint: No* He is being reasonable, and you are not

chaos546 and Skaros123 like this.