1. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  2. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  3. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Gay Rights

Discussion in 'Debates' started by scoowby, May 7, 2014.

1. Empoleon_master

Empoleon_master Celebrity Meeper

Emrahgerd i dun liek ur avatar lets start a petition to ban all adventure time avatars! Because my religion says adventure time is against the values of my religion, despite it being taken way out of context."
    This is the arguement against gay rights, if you'll excuse me now, I have to crash asleep now.

2. funkyrainbows

funkyrainbows Double Rainbow

I don't see a problem with it really. Why should people take away other peoples rights because of what a book says? I think they should be able to.

3. Skaros123

Skaros123 Otaku Wooden Hoe

This is a civil rights issue. It's, for some reason, very controversial. Tbh, it shouldn't even be controversial.

4. Fangdragon1998

Fangdragon1998 Queen of the Nubs, La Elite Dragoness, Kæri On!

I want to smack you, so hard. So very, very hard.
    Yeah, hard.
    There's a reason we don't mix church and state. Haven't you heard? Why are you claiming that laws are already based on religion? Why are you saying that someone's opinion is wrong simply because that's what they believe?
    "Oh and don't forget people, we all know that people can marry their horse legally in places like texas (I kid you not this is real), but Dave and Sam can't get married because of the religious text with more than 500+ contradictions in it, that is taken out of context means that it's against the law."
    This, just... no. There IS a separation of Church and State. Why else would this even be considered...

Now, since you brought religion into this, I'll state blatantly that my religion tells me being homosexual (or "gay" which is a stupid term to try to insult someone with... I mean, really? It means happy, like wtf who came up with this???) is wrong.
    But guess what?
    It also tells me that I cannot judge others. That's between God and them. I can't have a problem with gay people, and don't, because from my experience, many of them are extremely understanding, kind, and helpful, as a lot of kids who have been bullied are.

Quite frankly, anyone who isn't homosexual really can't argue about homosexuality being innate or not because, well, they don't know.
    Yet... at the same time, being homosexual has almost become a fad... who knows.

5. j32400

j32400 Popular Meeper

The woman aw
    The woman was not supposed to be executed, she just wasn't allowed to marry again.

6. Fangdragon1998

Skaros, you are speaking of committing adultery.

Exodus 20:14 "You shall not commit adultery."

Deuteronomy 22:22 "If a man is found sleeping with another man's wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die."

Leviticus 20:10 "If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death."

Proverbs 6:32 "But a man who commits adultery lacks judgment; whoever does so destroys himself."
    Leviticus 21:9 "And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire."
    Deuteronomy 25:11-12 "If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity."

Matthew 19:9 "I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."
    For adultery
    If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her; Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city. Deuteronomy 22:23-24

7. mistressmacabre

mistressmacabre Popular Meeper

This is true. “When a man takes a wife and marries her, if then she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some indecency in her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out of his house, and she departs out of his house, and if she goes and becomes another man's wife, and the latter man hates her and writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out of his house, or if the latter man dies, who took her to be his wife, then her former husband, who sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after she has been defiled, for that is an abomination before the Lord. And you shall not bring sin upon the land that the Lord your God is giving you for an inheritance. -Deuteronomy 24:1-4

I think Skaros was thinking of these verses:
    "If any man takes a wife and goes in to her and then turns against her, 14 and charges her with shameful deeds and publicly defames her, and says, ‘I took this woman, but when I came near her, I did not find her a virgin,’ then the girl’s father and her mother shall take and bring out the evidence of the girl’s virginity to the elders of the city at the gate. "And the girl’s father shall say to the elders, ‘I gave my daughter to this man for a wife, but he turned against her; and behold, he has charged her with shameful deeds, saying, "I did not find your daughter a virgin." But this is the evidence of my daughter’s virginity.’ And they shall spread the garment before the elders of the city. "So the elders of that city shall take the man and chastise him, and they shall fine him a hundred shekels of silver and give it to the girl’s father, because he publicly defamed a virgin of Israel. And she shall remain his wife; he cannot divorce her all his days. "But if this charge is true, that the girl was not found a virgin, then they shall bring out the girl to the doorway of her father’s house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death because she has committed an act of folly in Israel, by playing the harlot in her father’s house; thus you shall purge the evil from among you." Deuteronomy 22:13-21

(Disclaimer: I don't believe any of that ^. This is just for clarification.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 8, 2014, Original Post Date: May 8, 2014 ---
    The U.S. is NOT completely secular, unfortunately. If we are, why are the Ten Commandments chiseled outside nearly every courthouse? What other reason would politicians have for lobbying against gay marriage? When they do so, they often quote the bible.
    Just one example from Huckabee:

You say that if one is not homosexual, we cannot argue whether or not homosexuality is innate. That is what science is for. Most notably, genetics, neuroscience, and psychology.
    Homosexuality was removed from the Sexual Disorder section in the DSM in 1986 because it is NOT a psychological disorder. There is also no evidence that neurological trauma causes homosexuality. There is, however, evidence that certain genetic markers on the X chromosome may be linked to homosexuality at CONCEPTION. This means that a gay person is born gay. It is not a choice. Too many peer reviewed articles to list so I'll just give you the link to google scholar with a search term: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=homosexuality+in+dna&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0,14&as_vis=1
    As for you thinking homosexuality is a fad: Who would choose to live a lifestyle that most often involves ostracism, oppression and being viewed as a second class citizen? People lose their families and friends when they "come out". They are bullied and have less rights that heterosexuals. It's disgusting that humanity has not yet overcome these stigmas. It is definitely not a "fad".

I am happy to know that you are accepting of LGBT individuals, though. :D

8. Fangdragon1998

I said there was a separation of Church and State, not no correlation.
    Facing facts, the majority of Americans are Christian (Rusian's quote DOES have some point to it - if the majority isn't benefitting, why? Not that i completely agree with this but... it's good food for thought).
    As well as the fact that America was founded BECAUSE of religion. People fled England to have free worship. People that say religion hasn't influenced American ways at all don't really understand what it was founded for.
    Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I should have, my bad.

The reason I said that we can't really know if it is innate or not is because of those who become LGBT by choice, which is why I also mentioned it's kind of a fad. I know a few people that think they are LGBT, but... they're not. I mean, I don't have the right to decide for them, but what they say "turned" them makes me think they were just treated badly.
    One of them is a family friend that has gotten divorced 3 times, twice for abusive relationship and once for a death. She then proclaimed she was always homosexual... but I think that she was just fed up with men, you understand?

Last edited: May 8, 2014
    scoowby likes this.
  9. _Chef_Carrott_

_Chef_Carrott_ Popular Meeper

Lets take a moment and think about when the Bible was written. What was deemed "acceptable" and "unacceptable"at the that time is way different than this day in age. In the Bible they have slaves, in the USA we decided that slavery was inhuman and that it should be stopped. I am a Christian but that doesn't mean I believe everything in the Bible is relevant to todays world, or correct. BTW this topic has been derailed.

kevman967 and Empoleon_master like this.
  10. Klitch

Klitch

It's not like their lining up at your door and saying, "Hey I'm gay!" They aren't bothering anyone. Just let them have a happy life together. Also, in the same book that homosexuality is discussed (Leviticus) also mentions divorce. Look how that's turning out. People don't go around yelling at people that get divorced.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 8, 2014, Original Post Date: May 8, 2014 ---
    This is a debate thread. Deal with it.

11. Qwikin

Qwikin Guest

I think the entire debate is pathetic. They're humans, they're people, they're the same, they just love different people. I don't understand why that changes anything.

riri30, Huithril, Cherrykit and 10 others like this.
  12. kwagscraft

kwagscraft Celebrity Meeper

I am a Catholic. And despite what my religion states, I believe gay marriage should be legalized. This is because that, as stated in the bible, you should love your neighbor as your self. And it only serves to sicken me when a person states that and than proceeds to preach hatred toward homosexuals.

13. Klitch

Klitch

Oh and also the woman that wrote America The Beautiful was a happily married lesbian.

14. Skaros123

Skaros123 Otaku Wooden Hoe

The thing is, there actually is a way to test if someone if gay, biologically. Gay men have brains that look more like a straight woman's. Lesbians have a brain that look more like a straight man's. Because of these, gay people are more likely to be left handed. It's statistically accurate as well. Lesbians showed to be 91% more likely to be left handed than straight women. Gay men showed to be only 31% more likely, but still a difference nonetheless.

A simple MRI brain scan may be enough to determine the sexual orientation of someone!

Which leaves one question. Why do people find it so hard to believe it's not a choice?

15. kwagscraft

kwagscraft Celebrity Meeper

Because humans have a tendency to want to alienate and antagonize a person or group of people based on differences.

16. RuSiaN_PeDoBeaRAppeal

RuSiaN_PeDoBeaRAppeal Meeper

If it's a choice then all homosexuals made a stupid decision

17. IHAS

IHAS Popular Meeper

I thought you were a against gay rights? (From that thread in January)

18. PurpleStorm1234

PurpleStorm1234 Popular Meeper

[​IMG] I think gays are awesome, brave people. Having low self confidence, i would never be able to do something so bold. Gays have every right to find love as staight people do.

19. SirNathaniel

SirNathaniel Popular Meeper

This is literally the BEST evidence i have ever seen for support of equal rights for gay marriage. It is pathetic that things like teen pregnancies and that are more acceptable than equal rights. The prior two are just stupid decisions, being gay is just how some people are made, just like some have different skin colors or different features on their face or body. It is absurd that people preach tolerance for races other than theirs, but if the person is gay, than they don't deserve even some of the most basic human rights.

just thought it is applicable. People need to mind their own business.
    http://0.tqn.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/i/C/5/religion-marriage-donut.jpg

20. RuSiaN_PeDoBeaRAppeal

RuSiaN_PeDoBeaRAppeal Meeper

Imo they shouldnt be able to addopt or have children. For the rest they can do whatever If they dont bother anyone and they have the money. Also it should be recognised as a mental illnes/handicap/gene mutatuon/defect in chromosomes/whatever or maybe even degeneracy, and should be taught like this in schools. Not as a "sexuality" or "preference". Also imo religion is a bad argument against homosexuals. Typed from phone

M8