1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

Shain's Helper App

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by shains, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shains

shains never stop fighting

In Game Name: shainthewolfman

Skype Username: shainthewolfman

Teamspeak Username: shain

Mic use: Yes

Timezone: CST

Hours online per weekday: 4-6

Hours online per weekend: 6-8

Position Changes: Elite to Helper

Introduction:

My name is Shain and a rising college freshman (or my first year in a university for our British users). I've lived in Minnesota all my life, but for college I'm moving to Chicago in less than a month and I couldn't be more excited. I spent most of my life playing Hockey as a goalie, but my high school was so small it didn't have one for me to play on, so I quit. I quickly picked up band as my main hobby, and sophomore year I picked up choir and theatre. By the end of my senior year I was an active leader in multiple bands, choirs, and theatre productions (I even got to be the music coordinator for a play!). Music became my true passion, and after picking up a few instruments, I decided to make it my goal in life to learn all of them. As of now I know how to play 12 at a decent level, and I'm quickly on my way to 16 with some others I've picked up. I plan to major in music as an undergrad and in grad school I'll get my music education degree. I love to be on stage, no matter what I'm doing, as long as I'm entertaining, I lose all insecurities and hindrances.

Why I should be Helper:

I originally applied a couple days after I joined. That was a huge mistake on my part and here's why:

1. I had no passion for the server. I can't tell you why I applied for staff since I didn't care about the server all that much. Now, I want nothing more than Meep to be the best sever, and if hired, I plan to do my best to make it just that.

2. I had no experience. I barely understood the commands or really anything about the server. Spending a couple months on Meep now, I can see why the staff stresses experience. This point pretty much speaks for itself, but I now understand commands and each server, and have spent hours on Meep each day getting to know the server and it's users.

3. I hardly knew anyone. The amount of friends I've made on this server is tremendous, and I make a new one almost every day. When I began I hardly talked on /shout (and I will admit I still have a bit of trouble doing so) but now I spend an incredible amount of time helping new people over /shout and in private messages, using the forums in all respects, and, more importantly, using teamspeak. In my opinion, teamspeak is the best way to communicate with users. These are the people who really are involved in the server and know what they're doing. Often people will ask 'Can I trust (username) for this sale?' or 'Is this a fair price?' I think the communication we have on there is fascinating, and I always am excited to get on there.

Some things I could add as a staff member:

1. I absorb information quite well (I often scare people how much detail I remember of a conversation or event). I can keep a number of tasks in mind while performing another and always remember what I've been told.

2. I have a constant drive when I have a goal in mind. If I need to do something, especially if it affects other people, I will get it done quickly, effectively, and with quality.

3. I'm incredibly realistic. A lot of people refer to me as a buzz-kill or simply a pessimist but I see myself as a realist. While ideas may be amazing, I see the practical side of things. I may "destroy dreams" but I can bring a sense of security to the world.

4. I like to listen. The community has a lot to say, as I'm sure you know. I read every forum post that I can and even if I don't reply I try to get something out of it. Without the players, the server is nothing. I feel as though their input is very important and I enjoy listening to it and will constantly bring it to the table.

Weaknesses:

Obviously, no one is perfect and I'm no exception.

1. I get socially drained very easily. Sometimes things become overwhelming, and I shut down. If I've been talking for too long, especially to someone of high energy, I'll need a break to recuperate. The more people, the faster I drain.

2. I take things at face value. I have trouble picking up social cues like sarcasm, for example. I'm very literal and I sometimes need things to be clearly laid out for me.

3. I get frustrated easily. Often if I have to repeat a task (even if it's user error) I get incredibly frustrated and upset. As a grow older, this happens less and less but it's something I have to continue to work on.

4. I can sometimes lack assertiveness. I find it difficult to call some people out, and let my inhibitions get ahold of me. I may need reassurance that it's okay for me to be assertive.

5. I can come off as cold. I don't often play around, and I like to get to the point. A lot of people, especially young people, don't like this and see me as unemotional.

Conclusion:

I've realized my mistake applying too early and I want nothing more to be reconsidered. I've grown attached to Meepcraft and I can provide a unique perspective while still keeping new aspirations in mind. If I'm hired, I believe my leadership in on stage and in the classroom will shine through as a Helper and hopefully as a Moderator in the future.

Thank you for your time.

-Shain

DianaB72 likes this.
  2. HagenVoigt

HagenVoigt Active Meeper

- Generally intelligent
    - Good application
    - Can use proper spelling and grammar
    But, I haven't seen you ingame a lot, and while this is probably due to timezones or something similar, I cannot judge your behaviour ingame. However, from your behaviour in the forums I can give you +0.5

3. shains

I don't often speak in game except when someone asks a question I can answer. I tend to keep to /msg's. Thank you for the feedback!

Jackl01 likes this.
  4. GifMan

GifMan Active Meeper

This app:
    [​IMG]

5. SSSoul

SSSoul Celebrity Meeper

I have to say -1 due to lack of activity in /shout helping.

6. shains

Is that good or bad? lol

MrTonycat likes this.
  7. DeathBunny55

DeathBunny55 Popular Meeper

Great app. You're active in teamspeak, however you need to work on shout activity and helping people. +0.

8. 7acespade

7acespade Celebrity Meeper

I don't see why you are begging for forgiveness in your first app. I was like 13 back then and I made a horrible app and I still to this day don't care.

OT

You arent helpful in shout.

9. The_Squirrelman

The_Squirrelman Popular Meeper

Hey shain, cool to see you filled out an app. Let's get started.

Your app. I honestly think it was short and lacking. A lot of spaces, a lot of individual lines, and really, your section on why you should not have been staff is longer than why you actually should. You are very involved with forums, but forums is but one line of our work. I feel you need to be more active in game, helping out others via ./shout. The closest experience to the modreq world is the answering of those simple questions everyone knows the answer to. Weaknesses 1,3, and 4, I'm glad you pointed those out. A. You'll be dealing with everyone of every age range, from older adult staff superiors, to guys in teamspeak your age, or you'll be dealing with the mass of younger children that makes up this server. B. We cannot ever let failure or the job itself get to our heads. Composure, composure, composure. C. Staff needs to be assertive. When you've got a case that's closed, but someone keeps arguing, if you already explained the situation, put your foot down and do the right thing. When staff is saying something as a group that you do not agree with, put your foot down, and say your own opinion. We especially cannot have people without their own opinion, voicing their concerns clearly and effectively. Overall, seeing your forum work, you've got the right attitude and maturity, but I'm half and half on your position as Helper. +0

10. shains

I think the issue is I do not make myself visible in /shout. Diana and I have spoken about how I answer someone's question and then we personal message. I have helped a number of people without many people seeing it. There's also a level of trust here that we might not have when I say that, but I have been helping. I just don't think people have noticed.

11. DianaB72

DianaB72 Celebrity Meeper Elder

Hi Shain, I'm so glad you applied!! I'm absolutely positive that you would make a great staff member here. I see you all the time helping in TS and see your efforts in shout too. I see no reason why you shouldn't be accepted.

+1

shains likes this.
  12. marvelgamer13

marvelgamer13 Popular Meeper

Hey Shain, I read your app, and I'm giving it a +1. Your intro was nice, and gave good information we'd want to know. You gave some good reason why you should be a helper, and how you could help. I really liked that. :3 But your weaknesses were probably your strong point. Through all of your weaknesses, I believe you can overcome them when you need to. I'd say you'd make a great helper! I see you IG at times, and I've seen you on TS once, so that's proof enough that you're good enough.

shains likes this.
  13. shains

Thanks for the feedback! I think I list so many weaknesses because I'm rather insecure and very aware of my weaknesses. I'm not so great at picking out what I'm actually good at, except that I'm really good at picking out what my weaknesses are d:

14. Qwikin

Qwikin Guest

I personally like you, and when I talked to you in teamspeak, you seemed like a pretty cool guy, just work on /shout-ing more, so the community knows you better :) +.5

shains likes this.
  15. Cooleysworld

Cooleysworld Celebrity Meeper Elder

I liked the application and have seen you a lot in game. I have seen you defending the server many times and staying within the rules. The time spent showing detail in the application was great. +1 for interview

shains likes this.
  16. DancingCactus

DancingCactus Legendary Meeper

I haven't seen enough of you in-game or in /shout, so I honestly can't give you a fully accurate assumption, but I notice that a fair amount of people would agree with your promotion.

+0.

17. Cooleysworld

Cooleysworld Celebrity Meeper Elder

ACCEPTED FOR INTERVIEW

CyborgZeroX, Lady_Hestia and shains like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.