1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi there Guest! You should join our Minecraft server @ meepcraft.com
  3. We also have a Discord server that you can join @ https://discord.gg/B4shfCZjYx
  4. Purchase a rank upgrade and get it instantly in-game! Cookies Minecraft Discord Upgrade

theEditson's Guide To Towny Perms

Discussion in 'Towny Guides' started by theEditson, Jul 21, 2013.

1. theEditson

theEditson Popular Meeper Elder

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Editson’s Guide To Towny Perms

This section is an all-inclusive guide to setting up and using Towny Perms for your plot or town, and also how to successfully set up and operate a Grinder while maintaining 100% control of it.

This thread will not cover 100% of commands, only the maintaining & controlling of perms to your liking. For a complete command listing of Towny perms, go to this link:

http://code.google.com/a/eclipselabs.org/p/towny/wiki/Commands

Understanding Permissions

Controlling Towny permissions can seem extremely confusing at first, but this should clear up any misconceptions or questions you may have and make things a lot easier. Here is a breakdown of how perms work, and some things to remember/understand when using them.

There are 3 types of perms:

1. Town perms (/town or /t)

2. Res perms (/res)

3. Plot perms (/plot)

They each follow the same syntax, but the commands are slightly different:

- /town set perm [resident/outsider/ally] [build/destroy/itemuse/switch] [on/off]

- /res set perm [friend/outsider/ally] [build/destroy/itemuse/switch] [on/off]

- /plot set perm [friend/outsider/ally] [build/destroy/itemuse/switch] [on/off]

- /town toggle [fire/explosions/pvp/mob]

- /res toggle [fire/explosions/pvp/mob]

- /plot toggle [fire/explosions/pvp/mob]

Here’s a list of what each of those corresponds to:

- Resident = any player that is a resident of your town (not embassy owners)

- Friend = any player on your friends list (to see it, just type /res)

- Outsider = any player on server

- Ally = any player from an allied town in your nation

- Build = Place any block

- Destroy = Remove any block

- Itemuse = Use an item (fire charge, flint & steel)

- Switch = Open/use any door, pressure plate, button, lever, chest, etc…

- Fire = Fires spread from one block to another

- Explosions = TNT explosions

- PVP = Combat between players

- Mob = Mob activity on plot

Understand that these perms are structured

Because there are 3 sets of perms for 3 different types of situations, you must understand which perm overrides which. Here is the order in which is the easiest to think about them:

Towny < Res < Plot

Your town perms affect your town only. Specifically, your town perms are only applied to any plot that is marked ‘Unowned’ whether it is for sale or not.

Your res perms affect each of the plots you own anywhere. This means the plot says it IS owned, and not unowned.

Plot perms can be applied specifically to one plot at a time to override certain perms that either town perms or res perms were previously applied to. Non mayors can apply this to any plot they own, and it is beneficial because they can keep the same perms with res perms on every plot they own, but can change 1 perm on 1 plot for a certain reason…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here is an example to put this into perspective:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- I own 5 plots ( I am not a mayor), and I want my friends (on my friends list) to be able to use my chests on any plot I own, BUT one of the plots is a huge storage area and I DON’T want anyone to be able to do anything on it… then here is what you would type, in order.

While standing anywhere in the Towny server, you would do:

/res set perm off

(this sets all perms for all plots OFF under /res)

/res set perm friend switch on

(this sets the ability for your friends ONLY to be able to use chests, etc, on every plot you own)

Then, walk over and stand on the plot you would like to apply overriding/plot perms to, then you would do:

/plot set perm friend switch off

(this turns off the ability for friends to use chests, etc, on this one plot only, which overrides the /res perms you set earlier)

You can apply a number of combinations of this depending on the amount of plots you own and what they are used for/how they are used. One thing to remember is that the ‘resident’ perm under /town perms is different than the ‘friend’ perm under /res and /plot perms and they do not correlate or mix.

You cannot apply perms for people on your friends list to plots that you do not own personally… Visa Versa, you cannot apply resident perms on plots that are owned by you or any other player… their plot is reserved for them and their own /res perms. Unowned plots are the ones set up under Town perms (resident/outsider/ally).

Important Notes***

It is important to note that when you first join the server, your /res perms are automatically set to all on for friends only. Be aware that when you add friends to your friends list (with /res friend add [player]), they will be able to do anything on your plots, unless you manually turn them off. It is a smart thing to do, as is learning and understanding all of this information. To turn off every perm for everyone, you can do:

/res set perm off

It’s also important to note that when you change your res perms, the plot perm that was manually set for each plot will stay the same. Also, the plot perms are also set by default to be on for your friends, for the first plot that you own. To turn them off to be safe and to know you have everything off you can just do:

/plot set perm off

(Just to be safe, on plots that you want no activity on, except for yourself)

Using this guide, you can create some nice combinations and truly master the access on plots in your town or plots that you own. My other thread will be on how to set up the perfect grinder using a simple build and utilizing Towny perms to control access and keep things safe. To read that you can click HERE (to be added)

If you have any questions or suggestions on how to fine-tune this guide, then feel free to post a reply and I will review it personally. The sole purpose of the thread is to solidify the understanding and execution of Towny Permissions and to reduce the number of Meep crimes committed around the misuse of them.

SuperDyl, iKitten, cooey and 38 others like this.
  2. rrh18

rrh18 Popular Meeper

Great post, nice way of explaining the commands. Thanks!

iKitten, cooey, Idanq1 and 7 others like this.
  3. MrJoe223

MrJoe223 Popular Meeper

plus one for owner

4. Scott11B

Scott11B Popular Meeper

I have stickied this. Please update the title. Thanks for posting this. I couldn't find my copy of it.

Izarapaw and xxJ3R3MYxx like this.
  5. Jwarian

Jwarian Celebrity Meeper

i just wish my old bookmark still worked for this ;)

6. Cooleysworld

Cooleysworld Celebrity Meeper Elder

Great thread TheEditson, Thanks for sharing with the Community! You Rock

Izarapaw and BlackJack like this.
  7. superbros1211

superbros1211 Most Popular Meeper

WOW! This is amazing

8. Kabixi

Kabixi Popular Meeper

Thanks for making this. Sometimes telling someone to google towny commands isn't the easiest thing to do if they are somewhat new to towny. Especially if they are a bit young. I'll start sending people to this page, for sure.

9. TheIronSquirel

TheIronSquirel Celebrity Meeper

Amazingly helpful!!
    Thank you!!

10. CyborgZeroX

CyborgZeroX -=Retired Staff Member=- Elder

Thanks! i really needed this,
    Amazingly helpful

11. Scythe_Wielder

Scythe_Wielder Active Meeper

Great help to all, Thanks TheEditson!

xxJ3R3MYxx and theEditson like this.
  12. blackphantom2216

blackphantom2216 Well-Known Meeper

More people Need to Look at this Cause People are Like "Wheres my town!" And i have to tell them :C

xxJ3R3MYxx likes this.
  13. benster82

benster82 Celebrity Meeper

I LOVE this guide! Thank you sooo much theEditson! Now I can finally let my friend live in my house!

xxJ3R3MYxx likes this.
  14. Pimish02

Pimish02 Popular Meeper

This guide is awesome! Thanks SO much!

xxJ3R3MYxx likes this.
  15. chrispytoast123

chrispytoast123 Well-Known Meeper

Amazing work!

xxJ3R3MYxx likes this.
  16. Jdude5786

Jdude5786 Popular Meeper

So if I'm in my town and type /t toggle mob /res toggle mob or /plot toggle mob it should do something?

Because in my town those don't work.

Do i have to be a certain level before I can toggle mobs in my town?

17. theEditson

theEditson Popular Meeper Elder

Towny server has mobs turned off in areas claimed as towns, so you can only get mobs via spawners. The command will work if you have spawners that are able to spawn mobs.

xxJ3R3MYxx likes this.
  18. stevecrazy

stevecrazy Well-Known Meeper

Good job making this, but you know people can view all that by doing /t perm or /res perm or /plot perm.

xxJ3R3MYxx likes this.
  19. Izarapaw

Izarapaw New Meeper

thx this was very helpful!

20. buildmaster1000x

buildmaster1000x Popular Meeper

/plot toggle mobs and /t toggle mobs
    You sir are incorrect